Shawn's Special - Beer Batter Fried Catfish
October 3, 2019
Our Executive Chef, Shawn Kolo, presents a five-star catfish recipe
Beer Batter Fried Catfish
This recipe offers the perfect combination of seasoning, deep fried goodness, and fresh seafood that will have you craving more!
“Try this recipe with just about any type of your favorite fish,” suggests Shawn.
This recipe will make 2 servings
What you will need:
For the Batter
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup corn starch
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup beer (room temperature)
- 1 egg
For the Catfish
- ½ pound catfish fillet
- ⅓ cup buttermilk (or milk)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Vegetable oil
How you make it:
- Whisk together all batter ingredients until smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Soak fillets for up to 4 hours in a mixture of the milk and salt.
- When ready to cook, in a deep skillet, heat oil (about 3" deep) to 375 degrees.
- Allow fillets to drip dry, then lightly dab with paper towel to ensure they're no longer wet.
- Dip fillets in batter, remove, and drain excess batter.
- Carefully place several pieces of battered fish in the oil - do not overcrowd the strips.
- Fry until browned on all sides (roughly 3 minutes).
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
Enjoy your meal and let us know how delicious it was!