Brent's Special - Meat Lasagna
July 18, 2019
Our Director of Dining Services, Brent Russell, CSC, CDM, CFPP, presents a five-star Italian recipe
This fan-favorite meat lasagna recipe will have you feeling like a five-star Italian restaurant chef. Lasagna noodles layered with delicious cheeses, meats, and spices are sure to make your dinner guests happy!
“This meal is a timeless classic that people love to gather around and share,” notes Brent.
This recipe will make 6 servings
What you will need:
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- ¾ pound lean ground beef
- ½ cup minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (6.5 ounce) cans canned tomato sauce
- ½ cup water
- 2 Tbs white sugar
- 1½ tsp dried basil leaves
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 4 Tbs chopped fresh parsley
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ pound mozzarella cheese, sliced
- ¾ cup grated parmesan cheese
How you make it:
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until well browned.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water.
- Season with sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, 1 Tbs salt, pepper, and 2 Tbs parsley.
- Simmer, covered, for about 1½ hours, stirring occasionally.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining parsley, and ½ tsp salt.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- To assemble, spread 1½ cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with a third of mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1½ cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with ¼ cup parmesan cheese. Repeat layers, and top with remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil. To prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes.
- Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Enjoy your meal!