8 Activities for Grandparents and Grandchildren: Grandkid Tested, Senior Approved
November 1, 2018
A guest post by Lori Thomas of SeniorAdvice.com
Every grandparent understandably loves the opportunity to spend time with their grandchildren. However, sometimes inter-generational activities can be a challenge as seniors and little ones may not be able to do all of the same activities. However, that doesn’t mean there aren’t a number of fun things that both grandparents and their grandchildren can do together that will actually be fun for everyone involved.
There are countless fun things that grandparents and grandchildren can do together while both enjoying themselves.
Finding the right activities is so important because it helps kids make lasting memories with their grandparents and it can help seniors get out of the house, stay active, and even avoid loneliness.
Looking for some inspiration? Here are our favorite fun activities for grandchildren and grandparents to do together!
- Holiday Traditions - Set aside time for grandparents and their grandchildren to engage in beloved holiday traditions together. During this time of year, it may be things like making pies for Thanksgiving or creating gingerbread houses. No matter what tradition or activity it is, setting aside time for grandparents to show their offspring their favorite thing about these holiday activities can be a special bonding opportunity for everyone involved.
No matter the holiday tradition, grandparents and grandchildren can engage together as a special bonding opportunity.
- Puzzles - For seniors who want to try some indoor activities at home, puzzles are a great place to start. This is not only a fun activity, but one that can encourage grandparents and grandchildren to work together to solve something. It encourages teamwork and communication and is a fun way to spend an afternoon.
- Cooking & Baking - Seniors who love to cook will love teaching their grandchildren how to make their favorite recipe and sit and enjoy the fruits of their labor together when they are done. Keep the recipe simple and opt for something fun and sweet like cookies!
- Playing Video Games - Kids who are into video games can have a lot of fun teaching their grandparents how to get in on the action. Many seniors are surprised by how much they can enjoy playing video games, and it is a way to play that isn’t too taxing. Plus, it can be great for seniors who want to keep their hand-eye coordination in check. While there are many things that grandparents can teach their grandchildren, this is a fun one that kids can teach their grandparents.
Grandparents may be surprised by how much they enjoy playing video games once their grandchild gives them a quick lesson.
- Go to the Zoo - The zoo is one of those activities that is fun at any age. Plus, so many zoos today are designed to be easy to navigate so whether kids need strollers or wagons, or seniors need scooters or wheelchairs, everyone can get around at the zoo while they see exotic animals and learn more about our environment.
- Learn a New Skill Together - Sure, it is fun for grandparents to teach kids new things and for kids to teach their grandparents new activities, but what can be even more fun is learning a new skill together.
Learning a new skill together is fun for grandparents and grandchildren - take a painting class!
"Take a painting class, plant a garden together, or learn how to knit or crochet. It is so fun having a buddy when learning something new."
- Cheer On Your Favorite Sports Team - Very few things can help you make lasting memories quite like going to see your favorite sports team live. This is another fun way to get out of the house, yet it is an activity that doesn’t require a great deal of strenuous physical activity. If you don’t have a favorite team, consider adopting a new local sports team and becoming fans together!
- Go On A Road Trip - Plan a small road trip to see some new sites, visit a museum, or gather together with relatives. This is a fun time for grandparents and their grandchildren to spend unbothered, one-on-one time together and really bond as you head out on the open road. This is one way to make memories that are sure to last a lifetime for everyone involved.
Take to the road with the grandchildren! Visit a museum, do a small road trip, or visit relatives.
The right activity for grandparents and their grandchildren doesn’t have to be anything big or over-the-top. Sometimes even small activities can be the most fun and make the best memories. Be sure to keep these tips in mind if you are looking for new ways for the kids and seniors in your life to spend some quality time together.
Photo credits: Freepik.com