1916-1925

Please wait while we gather your results.

1916-1925:

  • 1916
    • The Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of Wisconsin becomes the full and rightful owner of the Willard Van Brunt property.
  • 1917
    • Br. Van Brunt still consults with the Grand Lodge on the Home and donates $200,000 for the establishment of an endowment fund to maintain the home.
    • As a condition of this endowment a $0.50 per capita contribution is initiated by the Grand Lodge. This per capita still exists today.
  • 1920
    • More applications are received than there is room for at the Home.
  • 1922
    • The cornerstone for the Wisconsin Masonic Home was laid.
  • 1923
    • June 14 the new Home building was dedicated with great fanfare. Transportation was provided so as many as desired could be there and enjoy this special day.
    • 'Past Grand Master David Harlowe, on behalf of Brother Willard A. Van Brunt, presented the Home with a U. S. Flag that was given to him after doing service at the Pan American Exposition at Buffalo, New York, in 1901, Brother Van Brunt having been Vice-President of the Exposition.
    • Brother Van Brunt sent the following message: "Wisconsin made good on that occasion and the flag is hers. Can you imagine a better custodian than the Home at Dousman?"'
  • 1924
    • June 12 a 28 bed hospital, complete with x-ray machines and operating room facilities, opened.
    • The hospital or "infirmary" operated until 1982 when the new healthcare center was built on campus. The old building was converted to house the Grand Lodge Offices.
  • 1925
    • The first full year of operation for the hospital
    • Over $31,000 was spent on improving the grounds, buildings and furnishings. Trees, shrubs and flowers were planted.
    • The number of residents almost doubled in the first year to 37 (about 1/3 of capacity).
    • A greenhouse and garage were built. The greenhouse would provide fresh flowers for tables in the dining room and start plants for the garden. The garage housed vehicles used at the home and still stands west of the main building.
    • Near the spring, a pond was dredged, cleaned and stocked with trout.
    • A park was laid out for residents, families and friends to enjoy.

AROUND THE WORLD:

Sinking of Lusitania

World Influenza Epidemic

Insulin Found to Treat Diabetes

Sonar Developed

League of Nations Formed

top